Audio: FEMA Administrator Fugate's Nov. 2 Hurricane Sandy update
The Federal Emergency Management Agency so far has disbursed $18.8 million dollars to individuals affected by Hurricane Sandy, FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate told reporters during a Nov. 2 press call. Scroll down to the media player to listen to the 26 minute call in full.
As of 11 a.m. on Nov. 2, 85,072 people have registered with FEMA to receive individual assistance, Fugate said. Those who receive individual assistance in the form of rental support, should their house be extensively damaged or destroyed, can do so for up to 18 months, Fugate noted. Many affected homeowners lacked flood insurance, he also noted – and in fact was a factor in President Obama's decision to authorize individual assistance without waiting for FEMA damage assessments, he added. Even those who did have it may have lacked coverage for the contents of their homes.
Fugate also repeated Homeland Security Janet Napolitano's announcement that the Homeland Security Department has temporarily waived the Jones Act in order to permit oil tankers coming from the Gulf of Mexico to enter Northeastern ports.
On the call were:
- FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate;
- Charley Shimanski, senior vice president of disaster services at the Red Cross.